For the love of more originality


Recently I was comparing some photographs and it struck me that most images of famous places or landmarks were shot from one particular vantage point, thus producing an image that was extremely cliched.
Take a minute and think about it. You've probably seen more images of the Eiffel tower than eaten croissants for breakfast. Now, of those images how many can you think of were unique? Almost none! Its nearly always the same angle, composition and time of day. The same goes for a wondrous place like the Taj Mahal. 
Photography is about creating an image and this is a tip that always comes useful. Scout the location of your subject and plan how you want to compose it.However at the same time maintain a sense of interest in the photograph. Adding a few more details at a completely different angle could mean the difference between a good image and a great one.

I put this to use when I went about shooting the lovely city of London and the images I came back with told a different story. Here's one of St Paul's cathedral. I wanted to grasp the grandeur of the cathedral but also capture its surroundings and the life that goes on amidst its presence.

I hope you like my take on more originality.


5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with what you said, and this is such a great example. Well captured and really glad that it was done in b&w.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great shot and yes, it stays true to what you've said. Also it's something that would look fabulous from a 'street photography' perspective. I hope I can see more as I love this form of photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron, thank you, I'm totally with you on the street photography perspective. Yes, you most definitely will be treated to more:)

      Delete
    2. Cameron, thank you, I'm totally with you on the street photography perspective. Yes, you most definitely will be treated to more:)

      Delete