A portrait with a twist!


Just recently I had a plan mapped out in my head, which basically focused on creating some portraits with a bit of character attached to it. I wanted to marry a few aspects together and see what I could come up with.
I wasn't expecting to find inspiration from a reality TV show, but that's exactly what happened while watching re-runs of 'LA Ink'. Watching Kat Von D do what she does best set my mind in motion, and helped me find the missing link to my unripened plan.

To be able to incorporate my portrait style with the personality of a tattooed subject was the gist of it. Right off the bat it sounded quite simple, but like I said earlier, it needed character. The chase was on to find the right subject. After exhausting local contacts I prowled social media. Just shy of four hundred friends on facebook and all I had to show for in this case was a handful. Luckily, one of them was flying into the country very soon, and after exchanging a few messages we managed to set a date and time for a quick photo shoot.

Working with 'Vim' was fantastic. He has a great presence in front of the camera and his fun yet mature demeanor could not be faulted. It's fair to say that we had a pretty good time going back and forth between poses and lighting setups, and got exactly what we set out to.
I had so much fun during this shoot that I've just started a new project, trying to work more with people and capture all there is to, from a face. This here is one of many, that we shot on the day. To view the rest from this shoot you only have to wait a tad bit longer, as they will be up on my site once it's launched. Drop me a line, let me know what you think.

If you would like a similar portrait or even something vastly different, all you have to do is use the 'contact form' on the blog or drop me a quick personal message on my facebook page right here.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Stunning capture. I like how the light and background work together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fay. It's partly what I really set off to do and it thrills me that people like you appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Very Original. In a world full of air brushed images, the essence of the face has very often been lost. You've gone and done a splendid job of bringing it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, thanks for making my day. It means a lot how you've put it in perspective. It's feedback like this that motivates me to keep shooting in the style that I do. Cheers!

      Delete