Making the switch


Ever since I embarked on my photographic journey I've always questioned the absolute need to lug around a DSLR camera to get the job done. Sure, you would be hard pressed to find one that didn't excel at what it does, but with all the advancements in technology there had to be a way in which all this awesomeness could fit into something smaller and more importantly, lighter.

Fortunately 'mirrorless' technology has now been around long enough and has heavily influenced photographers around the world in making the switch. To be honest, while all of this was hitting the headlines of every photographic website and constantly doing the rounds on my twitter feed, I however wasn't thoroughly convinced. I had to see for myself.
I'm an avid reader (mostly web related content) so for quite a while every tab on my browser was information related to as much mirrorless tech as I could find. And what a find it has been.
To say I've been blown away would be putting it casually. This new age find is what I have always been anticipating.

The ability to couple images of DSLR quality with nearly all of it's bells and whistles from a body that could quite well fit in the palm of my hand was unreal. The icing on the cake was when I actually got to see it in the flesh. If you're like me you've been using a DSLR all along, holding a mirrorless camera in your hand for the first time can be quite the nerve racking experience. I was constantly worried that it was going to part from my hand at any given moment, crash into the lovely tiled floor below me and explode into a million pieces. It's light weight really caught me off guard, but what's even more amazing is how quickly it grew on me. I adored it. I could shoot with this all day long and not feel a thing. I walked all around the store with it, never for a moment feeling like I was carrying a camera that was a serious contender against the much bigger competition. It was such a nimble piece of work, almost like a toy but one with so much going on in its depths.

Leaving the store I realized that this was an essential tool for what I do, a tool that has been long over due. It's only fair to say, that I now count myself among those that have been influenced into making the switch. Watch this space. If you've already jumped on the mirrorless wagon or are still on the fence about it I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback.

14 comments:

  1. A well timed post as I'am on the verge of jumping ship myself. Just got to figure who to give my money to:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear Dave.Yes, that's what takes the most time:) G'luck.

      Delete
  2. This post is really adding fuel to the mirrorless fire burning deep inside me. I can't think of a better time to go out and buy one. As you have rightly stated the weight savings is something that cannot be ignored and being able to squeeze out the same or better image quality is just awesome. Iam let down by the Big two's (nikon and canon) offerings in the said market. Time to go look else where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I couldn't agree more with you Leon. I was quite surprised and disappointed myself. Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic have taken mammoth steps leaving the rest in the dust.

      Delete
  3. Count me in on making the switch soon. Iam torn between the Olys and the Fujis. Nice post btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you Ali. Yes, that's a tough choice. Personally I'm leaning more towards the Fuji's.Let me know what you decide. Would love to hear more.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this post and can relate to it since I had a very similar experience. I have now ditched the slr and will possibly be buying an olympus- EM5 in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and congrats on ditching the SLR Seb. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself when you do. That camera is such a joy to use.

      Delete
  5. Already on the mirrorless-wagon here. Been shooting with an x100s and its been such a breath of fresh air. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Nigel on making the switch. Oh I really envy you. That is such a gorgeous camera. Would love to own one some day.

      Delete
  6. I've gone and made the switch as you say and honestly it was the best thing I did last year.I couldn't be happier to shoot with something that does not limit my work in any way. I had a hard time choosing between the OMD and the Fuji and my prior experience with olympus finally made me pick the OMD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek that's really great to hear. Ahh yes I've been in a bit of a pickle myself lately but I went in the opposite direction and gave my money to Fuji. Which OMD did u buy?

      Delete
  7. Nice read Saleem. I'm with you on switching up soon. Just got to save up a bit more and hopefully an x100s can find a home in mine.*fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adam. Oh a Fuji fan I see. Good on you! That is such a gem of a camera really! You're definitely headed in the right direction. Write back soon when you have it.

      Delete