Let down by colour! - Part 1


Truth be told, we all know well enough that at some point or the other it has crossed our minds. I know for a fact, that I fall victim here ever so often.Every image I capture is followed by a thought process, one which helps me deliberate if the image is as I would like it to be. Very often, as I said before, this is accompanied by a voice inside my head, questioning the apparent inclusion of colour. Don't get me wrong, I love colour but then again there is something so dramatically striking about keeping it simple, purely in black and white.

This here is the beginning of a series, a series of images based on a theme, where I will tell you all about a certain image and why I thought it looked better in black and white.

For the first part of the series I talk about one of my portraits.

My subject here was a lovely little boy, blessed with the energy levels of a cheetah on steroids. Like any kid his age he had his own agenda, and sitting pretty for me was definitely not on it. After constantly darting around with me in tow I eventually managed to coax him into a corner, and have him stand long enough to finally press the shutter button.
Now when I shot this image I wanted it to be all about him. Unfortunately, the image directly off the camera was polluted with rich colour in various areas. Due to this the focal point was being drawn away from his gorgeous face and those spectacular eyes. Converting the image to black and white meant I got what I was looking for, a simple image with ample meaning.
Let me know what you think and check back for part 2.





















15 comments:

  1. He's got cheeky written all over his face! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really nailed it here. There's no doubt that the lack of colour really compliments the image. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Can't seem to take my eyes off this picture. You've done such a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this picture made you feel a certain way. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  4. Amazing shot Naush! So many emotions trapped in his eyes and this picture perfectly uncovers a glimpse of it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think that the image did justice to what I was trying to portray. Thanks a lot Kev.

      Delete
  5. beautiful pic naush!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks a bunch for introducing me to ur blog!!! ur posts ,make interesting read! like the factt tht u do not focus on technical stuff but the object of ur shoot!! this pic is def more impactful in black n white! but looking at the kids eyes I can't help wondering what color are they...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thanks a lot Huma. I'm glad you like the way I work and also that the image is in b&w. He's a brown eyed angel!

      Delete
  7. the above is me Huma, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fantastic picture! Lots of emotions! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so Ester.There's more to come. Thanks so much!

      Delete